Accession number: 2021.5.1
Date: 1892 – 1920
Materials: Paper; Ink
Measurements: 15.7 cm L x 23.1 cm W
Description: A black and white photograph. The photograph shows a large white building with open parkland in front of it. There is another large house behind and to the left of it. There are houses on the left side of the picture. The land slopes up from the foreground to the background. A road runs from side to side, and a driveway runs from the road to the white building. Large square posts flank the driveway at the road. Near the lower left hand corner of the photograph is the number 171. The photograph is mounted on a thick piece of paper material. It is black in colore and is very decorative on the front. In the top right hand corner is a circle with the number 618 as well as some cursive writing that reads " The photograph is mounted on this In the lower right hand corner there is an imprint that reads "A.L. HARDY KENTVILLE, N.S.". Amos Lawson Hardy (A.L Hardy) was born on the South Shore of Nova Scotia in October of 1860. His photography career began in 1892 and ran for 43 years until his death in 1935. A. L. Hardy with help from his brother Irad Hardy began the task of converting a former candy store into a photography gallery that was located in Kentville. Hardy is not believed to have had any formal training as a photographer. His work focused primarily on the Annapolis Valley and he published his notable book titled "Evangeline Land" in 1906. After Hardy's death in 1935 the business was purchased by 'H.H.REID', a photographer from Windsor.