Accession number: 2002.7.1 E
Object type: B&W
Measurements: 25 cm L x 20 cm W
Marks/Label: ON ORIGINAL MAT, BOTTOM RIGHT, SIGNED: "F.E. GARBER / PHOTO / 1926"
Subject: BRIDGEWATER, SPECIAL EVENTS, SOUTH SHORE EXHIBITION, BUILDINGS, COMMERCIAL, FERRIS WHEEL, WAGONS, TENTS, AUTOMOBILES, ANIMALS, OXEN, PEOPLE, AGRICULTURE, HOSPITAL, F.E. GARBER, PHOTOGRAPHER
Narrative: William Andrew Hebb was born 18 June 1867 in Hebbville, N.S., the son of Emmanuel and Catherine Elizabeth Hebb. William Hebb married Clara B. Mullock on 15 January 1907. Had 3 daughters and 1 son. Worked as a mixed farmer in Hebbville. William A. Hebb was president of the Lunenburg County Exhibition Commission for 25 years. Served as agent for Colonial Fertilizer from Windsor. Had a huge apple orchard. In politics, he was a supporter of the Conservative party. William A. Hebb died 27 July 1950 and is buried in Brookside Cemetery, Bridgewater. Clara Hebb died 6 February 1960.
THE FIRST EXHIBITION BUILDING ON THE SITE OF WHAT IS NOW THE SOUTH SHORE EXHIBITION WAS BUILT AFTER 1892, AND WAS DESCRIBED AS BEING COMMODIOUS AND WELL APPOINTED. BY 1898, THE EXHIBITION HAD BECOME LARGE AND AN IMPORTANT ATTRACTION WHICH INCLUDED CATTLE PULLING MATCHES, OX PULLS, HORSE PULLING MATCHES, CONCERTS BY LOCAL BANDS. SPECIAL TRAINS CARRIED PEOPLE TO THE EXHIBITION AT REDUCED RATES AND THE TUG TRUSTY BROUGHT PEOPLE FROM ALONG THE LAHAVE RIVER TO THE BIG EVENT.
Description: PHOTO OF SOUTH SHORE EXHIBITION AT BRIDGEWATER. LARGE FERRIS WHEEL AT LEFT NEXT TO LARGE EXHIBITION BUILDING. WAGONS WITH PEOPLE. TENTS IN BACKGROUND. PART OF A FRAMED COLLAGE. ORIGINAL MAT SIGNED. PHOTO BY F.E. GARBER.
History of Use: USED TO RECORD ACTIVITIES OF THE SOUTH SHORE EXHIBITION.