Kentville is the "Shire" town of Kings County. The area was first settled by the Acadians. With the creation of their dyking systems they turned the land into a very fertile agricultural area. After the Acadians were expelled from the area in 1755 the area was then settled by the New England Planters. The town was originally referred to as Horton Corner but was renamed Kentville in 1826 after Prince Edward, Duke of Kent lived in the area for some time.