Image use must be for education or personal purposes only.
The contributing institution must be credited.
MacPhee House Community Museum

Typewriter, Manual


Accession number: 1997.005.002
Category: Writing device
Date: 1923 – 1947
Materials: Steel; Plastic; Paint Electrical tape (as repair)
Measurements: 26 cm W x 19.5 cm H x 36 cm DepthDimensions of base only. Carriage is 48 cm wide, 12 cm high to top of paper rest, and 12 cm deep.
Brand: Silent
Model: 8 14" carriage
Marks/Label:

"L.C.Smith" in gold on Paper Rest. "Silent" below the type-face arm assembly

"8 14 Silent "; "L.C.Smith and Corona tyepwriters OF CANADA LIMITED";  "Made in Canada"  on rear.

Narrative:

Recovered from the J.Lewis and Sons Lumber Mill, East River, Sheet Harbour following a fire that destroyed the mill in 1947. The typewriter was damaged in the fire - see condition remarks. An attept had been made to repair the (now lost) damaged front bar with electrical tape, some of which still survives. electric tape.

In 1923 L.C.Smith Bros. acquired the Corona Typewriter Company and formed the L.C.Smith and Corona Typewriter Company Ltd. subsequently they opened a factory in Totonto, Canada, and L.C. Smith and Corona tyewriter Company of Canda Ltd.

Description: Manual Typewriter; Missing front bar
History of Use: Used ay the J.Lewis and Sons sawmill on the East River, Sheet Harbour, Nova Scotia. The mill burned in a forest fire in 1947. The typewrite was recovered, and shows damage caused in the fire.
J.Lewis and Sons built their saw mill on the site of the first Sulphite Process paper mill in Canada.