This plaine is carved from one piece of wood. Used for making window sashes.
The right hand side is smooth and straight. The left and side is flat to about 3cms down the side. You then have a ledge or lip before continuing to the bottom. Right where the ledge starts there is a groove about 2cms wide toward the cetre of the plane. On the top is a slot with a wooden handle inserted; there is also a 17.5cm long piece of metal inserted in the same slot. This metal, which is double pointed and sharpened on each point, comes out at the end of the groove in the wood. There is a slot on the bootom of the plane that has a narrow strip of wood inserted in it, There is a 1 cm groove between this inserted piece of wood and the each of the right hand side. The two sharp metal points run on each side of the groove .
Used by cabinet maker, Edward Keen (1841-1917) and his son George (1879-1947). Edward and his wife Jane (1847-1930) resided on Charleton Street, Digby, Nova Scotia. His workshop was located on the property.
Donor, Chester Keen, was the grandson of Edward and the son of George Keen.