Image use must be for education or personal purposes only.
The contributing institution must be credited.
DesBrisay Museum


Accession number: 2019.4.1.13
Object type: Organizational
Date: September 12 1946 – April 21 1964
Materials: Paper
Measurements: 23 cm L x 18 cm W
Marks/Label: Inside front cover is a red label which is typewritten and reads:  Minute Book / Bridgewater Ladies' Tennis Club / Bridgewater, N.S..  Handwritten below label is written in black ink:  Transferred to Bridgewater Tennis Club, Ways and Means Committee
Subject: Bridgewater, Sports, Tennis, Bridgewater Ladies Tennis Club, Bridgwater Tennis Club, Ways and Means Committee, Minutes, Ian M. Campbell
Narrative: The Bridgewater Tennis Club was organized in 1890 with the first president being Mr. Robert A. Logan, making it the second oldest tennis club in Canada.  The President eventually was succeeded by W. H. Owen.  The first secretary was Mr. H. T. Ross, K.C.   Later on the ladies were admitted to membership.  The first field was rented from the late Judge M.B. DesBrisay. (1828-1900).  In 1902 the property was purchased and held for the Club by trustees.  Until 1910 grass courts were used and eventually they installed clay courts.  The club was incorporated by special act of the legislature in 1910 and was organized with the regulation by-laws and ground rules.  The club also had on its large grounds two sets of quoit beds.  The Nova Scotia Provincial Tennis Association held their tournament at Bridgewater in 1911.  The club is still active and plays on the Maple Street courts at the Kinsmen Field.
Description: Black hard cover book with lined pages.  Minute book of the Bridgewater Ladies' Tennis Club which was transferred to the Bridgewater Tennis Club, Ways and Means Committee.  Lists officers and executive of 1946 on the first page which was the organization's meeting minutes.  Minutes use up half of the book and the rest of book is empty.
History of Use: Used to record activities of the Bridgewater Ladies Tennis Club.