Accession number: 2019.4.1.12
Object type: Organizational
Date: November 1946 – April 21 1963
Materials: Paper; Cardboard
Measurements: 32 cm L x 20 cm W
Marks/Label: Silver label on cover reads: Cash Book. Handwritten in black ink inside cover: Bridgweter Ladies Tennis Club 1946 / Bridgewater Tennis Club Ways and Means Committee 1951
Subject: Bridgewater, Sports, Tennis, Bridgewater Tennis Club, Bridgewater Ladies Tennis Club, Cash Book
Narrative: The Bridgewater Tennis Club was organized in 1890 with the first president being Mr. Robert A. Logan, making it the second oldest tennis club in Canada. The President eventually was succeeded by W. H. Owen. The first secretary was Mr. H. T. Ross, K.C. Later on the ladies were admitted to membership. The first field was rented from the late Judge M.B. DesBrisay. (1828-1900). In 1902 the property was purchased and held for the Club by trustees. Until 1910 grass courts were used and eventually they installed clay courts. The club was incorporated by special act of the legislature in 1910 and was organized with the regulation by-laws and ground rules. The club also had on its large grounds two sets of quoit beds. The Nova Scotia Provincial Tennis Association held their tournament at Bridgewater in 1911. The club is still active and plays on the Maple Street courts at the Kinsmen Field.
Description: Green hard covered Cash Book with black spine. Silver coloured label with words Cash Book printed on cover. Contains financial records of the Bridgewater Ladies Tennis Club and the Bridgewater Tennis Club Ways and Means Committee. Book not fully used.
History of Use: Used to record financial activities of the Bridgewater Tennis Club.