Minutes
Minutes
Image use must be for education or personal purposes only.
The contributing institution must be credited.
DesBrisay Museum

Minutes


Accession number: 2019.4.1.11
Object type: Organizational
Date: May 8 1908 – April 30 1945
Materials: Paper
Measurements: 32 cm L x 19 cm W
Marks/Label: Printed on cover:  Record
Subject: Bridgewater, Sports, Tennis, Bridgewater Tennis Club, Minutes, Membership, Locker Rentals, Ian M. Campbell
Narrative: The Bridgewater Tennis Club was organized in 1890 with the first president being Mr. Robert A. Logan, making it the second oldest tennis club in Canada.  The President eventually was succeeded by W. H. Owen.  The first secretary was Mr. H. T. Ross, K.C.   Later on the ladies were admitted to membership.  The first field was rented from the late Judge M.B. DesBrisay. (1828-1900).  In 1902 the property was purchased and held for the Club by trustees.  Until 1910 grass courts were used and eventually they installed clay courts.  The club was incorporated by special act of the legislature in 1910 and was organized with the regulation by-laws and ground rules.  The club also had on its large grounds two sets of quoit beds.  The Nova Scotia Provincial Tennis Association held their tournament at Bridgewater in 1911.  The club is still active and plays on the Maple Street courts at the Kinsmen Field.
Description: Tan coloured, hard cover book with cloth front and back cover and burgundy coloured corners. Back  cover has a geometric design.200 ruled and numbered pages.  Handwritten and typewritten Minute book for the Bridgewater Tennis Club.  Begins on page 5.  Page 6 states By-Laws and Ground Rules of the club. Minutes end on page 173.  Treasurer's report on page 174.  Page 196 lists gentlemen members for 1912. Page 200 lists locker rentals for 1915.
History of Use: Used to record activities of the Bridgewater Tennis Club.