Accession number: 2019.4.1.5
Object type: Organizational
Date: December 26 1952 – April 15 1961
Measurements: 27 cm L x 21 cm W
Subject: Bridgewater, Sports, Bridgewater Tennis Club, A. L. Thurlow, J. Arthur Roberts, Dr. Harrington, Mortgage, L. E. Shaw Limited, Clay, Ian M. Campbell
Narrative: The Bridgewater Tennis Club was organized in 1890 with the first president being Mr. Robert A. Logan, making it the second oldest tennis club in Canada. The President eventually was succeeded by W. H. Owen. The first secretary was Mr. H. T. Ross, K.C. Later on the ladies were admitted to membership. The first field was rented from the late Judge M.B. DesBrisay. (1828-1900). In 1902 the property was purchased and held for the Club by trustees. Until 1910 grass courts were used and eventually they installed clay courts. The club was incorporated by special act of the legislature in 1910 and was organized with the regulation by-laws and ground rules. The club also had on its large grounds two sets of quoit beds. The Nova Scotia Provincial Tennis Association held their tournament at Bridgewater in 1911. The club is still active and plays on the Maple Street courts at the Kinsmen Field.
Description: Typewritten correspondence on white and yellow pieces of paper, between the Bridgewater Tennis Club and lawyers A. L. Thurlow and J. Arthur Roberts regarding the mortgage from Dr. Harrington and the Bridgewater Tennis Club, and a letter from L. E. Shaw Ltd. regarding the delivery of clay.
History of Use: Used to correspond by mail between one party to another party.