List, Membership
List, Membership
Image use must be for education or personal purposes only.
The contributing institution must be credited.
DesBrisay Museum

List, Membership


Accession number: 2019.4.1.3
Category: Other Documents
Object type: Organizational
Date: 1946 – 1961
Materials: Paper
Measurements: 35 cm L x 22 cm W
Subject: Bridgewater, Sports, Tennis, Bridgewater Tennis Club, Membership, Ian M. Campbell
Narrative: The Bridgewater Tennis Club was organized in 1890 with the first president being Mr. Robert A. Logan, making it the second oldest tennis club in Canada.  The President eventually was succeeded by W. H. Owen.  The first secretary was Mr. H. T. Ross, K.C.   Later on the ladies were admitted to membership.  The first field was rented from the late Judge M.B. DesBrisay. (1828-1900).  In 1902 the property was purchased and held for the Club by trustees.  Until 1910 grass courts were used and eventually they installed clay courts.  The club was incorporated by special act of the legislature in 1910 and was organized with the regulation by-laws and ground rules.  The club also had on its large grounds two sets of quoit beds.  The Nova Scotia Provincial Tennis Association held their tournament at Bridgewater in 1911.  The club is still active and plays on the Maple Street courts at the Kinsmen Field.
Description: Ivory coloured typewritten and handwritten membership records for the men and ladies of the Bridgewater Tennis Club from 1946 to 1961.
History of Use: Used to record the names of members of the Bridgewater Tennis Club.