Accession number: 2019.4.1.1
Object type: Survey
Date: September 21 1959
Measurements: 59 cm L x 54 cm W
Subject: Bridgewater, Sports, Tennis, Bridgewater Tennis Club, Bridgewater United Church, Errol Hebb, land surveyor, Survey
Narrative: The Bridgewater Tennis Club was organized in 1890 with the first president being Mr. Robert A. Logan, making it the second oldest tennis club in Canada. The President eventually was succeeded by W. H. Owen. The first secretary was Mr. H. T. Ross, K.C. Later on the ladies were admitted to membership. The first field was rented from the late Judge M. B. DesBrisay. (1828-1900). In 1902 the property was purchased and held for the Club by trustees. Until 1910 grass courts were used and eventually they installed clay courts. The club was incorporated by special act of the legislature in 1910 and was organized with the regulation by-laws and ground rules. The club also had on its large grounds two sets of quoit beds. The Nova Scotia Provincial Tennis Association held their tournament at Bridgewater in 1911. The club is still active and plays on the Maple Street courts at the Kinsmen Field.
Description: Single piece of ivory coloured paper. Plan of survey prepared by Provincial Land Surveyor, Errol Hebb. Shows property lines for the Bridgewater United Church bordering the property of the Bridgewater Tennis Club, at the corner of Maple Street. Sketch of tennis club house and measurements noted in red ink.
History of Use: Used to record survey of property lines for Bridgewater Tennis Club.