Accession number: 2014.9.89
Date: March 1 1976
Measurements: 36 cm L x 22 cm W
Subject: Bridgewater, People, Walter A. Gow, Andrew Clarke Gow, Frank Russell Gow, Jean Isabel Fielding, Alexandra Avenue, Kenney, Theakston, Kennedy & Allen, King Street, Jean A. Weagle
Narrative: Walter Alexander Gow was born 15 January 1882 in Bridgewater, the son of a Scottish father Andrew Gow and Louisa (Hebb) Gow. Walter Gow became associated with Robert Dawson and Sons Hardware Store and in 1916, Walter became a partner in the business. Upon the death of Robert Dawson, Gow took over and changed the name to Walter A. Gow store.
Walter Gow married Jean McDougald Clarke, an accomplished pianist, by license on 5 September 1917 in Northport, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia by a Presbyterian minister. They had six children, Andrew Clarke, Kenneth, Jean, Frank, Donald, and Dr. Walter S. Gow. The family built a large home on Alexandra Avenue in Bridgewater. Walter Gow joined the Bridgewater Fire Department in 1902 and served as deputy Chief in 1908. Gow became Fire Chief in 1914 and served for 31 years from 1914 to 1945. Gow was responsible for the development of modern firefighting methods. He was associated with the Children’s Aid Society, Junior Hockey and the Bridgewater Curling Club. Gow was also involved in his community and served on Bridgewater Town Council from 1917 to 1922. Walter Gow died 28 November 1945 and is buried in Bridgewater Brookside Cemetery.
Description: Blue rectangular piece of paper which has been folded. Inside is two ivory pieces of paper which are typewritten and stapled at the top in three places onto the blue outside paper. Deed between Andrew Clarke Gow & Frank Russell Gow and Jean Isabel Fielding, children of Walter A. Gow Prepared by Kenney, Theakston, Kennedy & Allen, Barristers and solicitors, 455 King Street, Bridgewater, N.S. for property from the Estate of Walter A. Gow located on Alexandra Avenue and Maple Street, Bridgewater. Stamped in purple ink and signed by Jean A. Weagle, A Commissioner of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia.
History of Use: Used to convey a parcel of land from one party to another party or parties.