Accession number: 2011.13.92
Object type: B&W
Date: circa 1985
Measurements: 10.8 cm L x 8.6 cm W
Marks/Label: Written below image: 2 col. BB
Subject: Bridgewater, Industry, Telecommunications, CKBW Radio, Dominion Street
Narrative: The telex was a machine used to transmit information over a telex network. In the last days of the telex networks, equipment was often replaced by modems and phone lines as well, reducing the telex network to what was effectively a directory service running on the phone network. This has now been replaced with modems and more updated telecommunications equipment such as fax machines and hand held devices.
CKBW Radio went on the air December 24, 1947 from the Sawler building on King Street, Bridgewater, N.S. with a 16 hour daily schedule. They moved to the Bridgewater Plaza on Dominion Street in 1967 and continued there until they opened a new location on North Street in 2010. Over the years, they have held many community radiophones to raise money for charities, including the hospital and various service clubs. In 1986, they had a new control room and began broadcasting in FM and AM. CKBW Radio is owned by Acadia Broadcasting Co. Ltd. John F. Hirtle was a former radio announcer and and became manager of CKBW Radio when they formed in 1947. Today CKBW Radio operates a 24 hour schedule.
Description: Black and white photograph of a telex machine sitting on a table in the C.K.B.W. Radio office, Bridgewater. Large component stand with electronics standing at the left.
History of Use: Taken to document telecommunication devices.