Accession number: 2014.001.014
Date: 1914 – 1916
Materials: Photographic printing paper.
Measurements: 11.3 cm W x 17.8 cm H
Military Unit: 63rd. Regiment Halifax Rifles
Culture: Canadian Armed Forces
Narrative: Alexander Herbert Rutledge was a career soldier with the Canadian Armed Forces. As a corporal with the 63rd. Halifax Rifles he was part of the Coronation Contingent, Colonial Camp for the coronation of King George V in July of 1911. Between that date and 1914 he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant, as attested by the photograph 2014.001.011 which has 1914 hand written on it, and shows Sergeant Rutledge in full dress uniform.
As a sergeant with the 63rd. Regiment, Halifax Rifles, Rutledge was posted to Bermuda.
This photograph shows him with three comrades during some time off duty riding on a wagon, possibly rented for the occasion. The mules harnessed to the wagon have halters with a nose-band, unlike our 1997.004.114. The size of the wagon can be judged from the size of the right side wheel visible on the of the wagon, and the shadow which can be faintly seen. The soldiers are wearing the "Pith" or more properly, "Wolesley pattern cork helmet" introduced to the Canadian Armed Forces in 1902 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pith_helmet ) See 2014.001.009 for an image of then Corporal A.H.Rutledge wearing a similar helmet as a member of the 63rd. Regiment Halifax Rifles in 1911.
The Georeference is for the general area of Devonshire Parish, Bermuda where the British had established a large infantry base from 1864 onward. It is probable that Sergeant Rutledge's unit would have been stationed near there. The location depicted in the photograph is unknown.
Description: Black and white photograph of a group of four uniformed soldiers in white helmets on a wagon drawn by two mules on a dirt road. A fifth figure in civilian clothes is the wagonier. Small buildings and large trees form the background
History of Use: Made as a memento for members of the group of soldiers while they were stationed on Bermuda probably in 1915. Passed by Sergeant A.H.Rutledge to his brother J.E.Rutladge who gave it to the donor.