Accession number: 1984.2.1
Date: circa 1931
Measurements: 502.92 cm L x 609.6 cm W x 167.64 cm H
Narrative: This is the oldest known homebuilt aircraft in Nova Scotia first completed in 1931, restored in 1984. It was constructed by Charles Craig of Truro, but was never completely finished. It is believed to be based on "Lincoln Sport" biplane design and has been built-up using original components that had been stored in Craig’s attic for the past fifty years. The restoration was completed by Doug Ordinal & Alfred Skeet in 325 hours. The undercarriage, engine and engine cowling are not original, but were added by museum member Doug Ordinal in a manner to suggest what they may have looked like. It was decided to leave the fabric covering off in order to show the construction methods and operating surfaces, as well as Mr. Craig's workmanship. The home built was donated by Mrs. Clark X.L. Craig, in 1984. Plane was laid in pieces in the attic of Mr. Craig’s house on the corner of Willow and Smith Avenue for 50 years. Charles Craig’s widow Olive believed the craft may have been the second structure her husband had been working on. It is believed he had first built a monoplane; which was reportedly flown at the local golf course but crashed and was damaged. Peter Maxwell, a Truro real estate agent was trying to research the plane’s history so it would not wind up outside of the Maritimes – donated to the Atlantic Museum Society.
Description: One Homebuilt Aircraft consisting of the following components: 1 set of wings Covered) Fuselage (Uncovered) Wing Spreaders Tail Assembly Wooden biplane with exposed frame. Two wheels, propeller and rudder. Wings on the front end of plane above and below either side of cock pit. Linen covers frame at the rudder.