;Admiral Digby Museum collection. Digby Courier.; Admiral Digby Museum collection. Digby Courier, November 4, 1987.; Admiral Digby Museum collection. Digby Courier, November 4, 1987.; Admiral Digby Museum collection. Digby Courier, July 2005.
Business Category: Sawmilling, Forestry
Remarks: Harry Lewis of Weymouth began his own business in 1937 logging timberlands and selling logs to local mills. In 1947, he and business aquaintance/cousin, Gifford Lewis began a partnership and built the Lewis Lumber Company.
The first mill was powered by a gasoline unit and produced 12,000 board feet/day, employing 20 people who were paid an average salary of $20/day. Logs were bought for $20/thousand feet.
In 1951, the Lewis Lumber Company had Harry Lewis, president; Gifford Lewis, vice-president; and Clyde Cosman, secretary-tresurer. The same year the company was incorporated as Lewis Lumber Co. Ltd, and a new mill was opened in May which could produce 15,000-18,000 board feet/day.
In 1954, the company earned a contract salvaging timber in the New France area following the destruction caused by Hurrican Edna. During the next two years, the company produced and shipped as much as 12 million board feeet to overseas markets.
A fire destroyed the mill on August 29, 1959, but it was rebuilt and in operation again by October of the same year. Unfortunately, another fire destroyed this mill in 1964, forcing another rebuild.
In 1968, Gifford Lewis and Cosman sold their shares of the company to Harry Lewis' daughters, Leota and Sherwood (Sonny) Barr.
Lewis Lumber merged with a Yarmouth sawmill in 1971, and their manager, George Boultier, became Director.
The following year, Harry Lewis retired from the company and Sonny was appointed president and general manager.
In 1975, the Yarmouth mill closed and operations were combined with the Weymouth site.
Around this time, the company owned approximately 20,000 acres of land in Digby, Yarmouth, and Shelburne counties. To focus on managing this land, the sawmill was sold to one of its directors, Stewart Lewis, in January 1987. The company was renamed Lewis Sawmill Ltd. and could produce 33,000 board feet/per day.
In September 2005, Irving, who had become owners of the mill, stopped operations and closed the mill citing their inability to complete in a global marketplace.
Remarks Source: 1. Digby Courier, November 4, 1987.
2. Digby Courier, July 2005.
3. Admiral Digby Museum records.