Business Category: Foundry, Machining
Products: portable and stationary sawmills, mill supplies, mining machinery, marine engines, hoisting and steam engines, engine accessories, iron and iron products, iron pulleys, machine gears (cut and dressed), shafting, langille set works and dogs, light and heavy duty edgers, rotary and band mill carriages, hardwood floor strippers, circular re-saws, ordinary and endless haul-ups, blowers, round wood bolters, crown gear and pinions, detachable chain sprockets, dies (flue linings and sewer pipes and building tile), lath machines, surface planers, spark arresters, trimmers
Dates Founded: 1878
Remarks: The Oxford Foundry and Machine Company was established in 1878 by Alex MacPherson near the mouth of the Black River. I.J.Hingley was a partner. The power was supplied by water from the River Philip. Two men were employed. This factory burnt in 1880. The foundry was moved across the river and rebuilt in 1883. In 1892 they experienced financial difficulties and business was suspended. It was bought by Robert Brownell of Truro who sold to Frank Mumford of Dartmouth. In 1894 it was sold to E.D.Langille, Charles C.McNeill, and A.M.Hingley. Eight men were employed. In 1897 the whole plant was destroyed by fire and rebuilt on a larger scale to accommodate a growing business. In 1901 they employed 30 people. In 1910 the business was purchased by Henry W. Wood, C.E.Wood and Charles Wood, and incorporated as Oxford Foundry and Machine Company, Ltd. With Henry Wood as manager. The plant consisted of a two storey machine shop, 80x40 feet, a moulding shop, pattern shop, blacksmith shop and boiler house. The products included portable and stationary sawmills, mining machinery, horizontal and upright engines and mill supplies. In 1919 they were making a Pole Road Engine for hauling logs. They supplied a mostly Canadian market. In 1924 the machine shop was destroyed by fire and replaced with a larger shop and extensions were made to the molding and pattern shops. During the second World War a coal shop and elevator were built. The best year for business was 1947. In 1948 they employed 43 people. From 1939 to 1949 Henry Wood was the sole owner. In 1968 business was taken over by Douglas Kirby. Norman Dickie took over in the late 1970's. In 1980 the foundry was torn down. In 1981 a new plant known as Oxford Industries Ltd. Was built to produce machinery and sawmill parts.
Remarks Source: 1. The Industries of Oxford 1790-1960 by Doug.Patriquin, 1983.
2. The Oxford Journal, Oxford, Nova Scotia. June 24,1948.
3. The Nova Scotian, Halifax, Nova Scotia. May 3, 1901.
4. The Busy East. Dec. 1919.
5. Evidences of the Industrial Ascendency of Nova Scotia, 1913.
6. The Oxford Journal, Oxford, Nova Scotia. April 28, 1982.
7. Nova Scotia Trade Directory. 1932, 1937, 1947.
8. Evidences… 1913.