Business Category: Textile Milling
Remarks: Lewis Ltd., sold the products of Eastern Hoisery Mills, Eastern Hat and Cap (see entry) and Eastern Shirts. Employees came from many countries -- Germany, England, USA (especially North Carolina) and Czechoslovakia.
In the basement of one of the buildings there was a Shoddy Department where waste from the other operations was spun into coarse yarn.
The Number 2 Mill, a spinning mill, was added north of the original building around 1939/40 and was connected to the original by a catwalk. During World War II, wool and wool/synthetic blend knitting yarns were manufactured.
Eastern Felt Co. was built in the later 1940s and was owned 50/50 by Charles Lewis and Merrimac (Canada) Ltd. It operated independent of Lewis Ltd., and sold felt hat shapes in Ontario and Quebec.
After the death of George Lewis (1862-1949), who had been an investor in Eastern Hat and Cap (see entry), Frank Lewis (1889-1961) became the head of Lewis Ltd., whilst his brother, Charles (1904-19?) started his own company, Federal Products Ltd.
Remarks Source: 1. Lewis Ltd. File. Colchester County Museum Archives.
2. Weekly Record. Arpil 1, 1981. Section B, p. 23.
3. "Londonderry Letter." Truro Daily News. March 18, 1960.
4. Eastern Hat and Cap Style Book. No. 10.